Q: If you could live one day without consequences, what would you do? Would you get a tattoo just to see what it was like? Would you skip work or school and sleep all day? Would you have a one-night-stand, or would you buy a yacht, or would you tell your parents what you REALLY think of them? If you could live one day without consequences, what would you do?
This one is easy for me. Except I think I would wish for a week without consequences.
I would spend money.
Lots and lots of money.
What I would do is find the people I like to spend time with- family and friends. Then I would make a list of experiences ...
...Lets start our day in Disneyland with the children. I would love to share that with my children. I want to see that look of delight and amazement on their faces. We didn't really ever take a family vacation growing up but once every couple of years we would spend a day at Disneyland. I had trouble sleeping the night before. The drive up there I would spend thinking about the last time we were there and which rides I was going to head for first. I want to see that in my children's faces.
By noon, I would take off for a wonderful meal (not at Disneyland). The children could stay and enjoy lunch at Disneyland.
Lunch for the adults would have to be 3 or 4 courses-with wine. This lunch would need to be shared with foodies. There will be long talks about wine and food parings - lots of mmmmm's and ahhhhh's.
In the early afternoon, it will be time to travel to the mountains to show the children snow. Living in south Texas the children have no idea about snow. I would love to see their faces and watch them play. I think a snowball fight, sledding and snowman building would be in order.
An early dinner at some fabulous place would be next. This would be a dinner like our family had this past July when we celebrated my folks (mom & step father) 25th wedding anniversary. The family came together (without the children) for a wonderful meal- 4 courses, wine, champagne...it was so nice to be together for a few hours without rushing. It is not that I don't enjoy meals with my children because I really do. But I also really enjoy a long, beautifully prepared meal, that is supposed to be enjoyed slowly and deliberately. So on this day I would indulge myself and my children would be equally happy with their meals.
I would end the day with my husband and children and extended family at the beach. We would watch the sun go down over the Pacific ocean and then build a fire and talk and sing until we couldn't stay awake any longer. Stories of how I walked that same beach when I was dating daddy or pregnant with Samuel would be told. Memories of my own childhood and teen years would vividly play in my head. The sweet salty smell of the cool air would awaken those memories so long ago tucked away. Other stories would be shared. We would learn new things about one another and delight in the same stories we know so well. We would talk about our other loved ones that are no longer with us- that we hold so dear. Our children will take it all in and someday they will re-tell of our day together.
At the end of the day I would be tired and blissfully happy.
The next day the money would be gone (and no debt left in it's place) but the memories of my perfect day would remain with me always.
Oh, I left out the part about the purchase of an awesome digital camera so I could scrapbook everything later. ;0)
Monday, October 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment