Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Expectations













2007 was the perfect Mother's Day. There was so much sweetness and thought put into the day, I really felt appreciated.
My two oldest children, then 7 and 4, picked out charms for my charm bracelet. My husband let them pick out what they wanted. It was priceless.
Since charms can be a bit expensive (especially x3) I told my husband he could do it every other year.
2009 was charm year. I couldn't wait to see what they picked out this year.
Yesterday morning I was greeted with hugs and kisses and a big bag of things from my first grader. First grade teachers are the BEST!
The cards and crafts were wonderful.

But no charms.

I went on with my day.

I cleaned my scrapbook room which was a wreak because I went on retreat the weekend before. I treasured the time to clean up and re-organize while watching season 3 of The Office.

My scrapbook room is back in working order, I am happy to report.

About 2:30 or so my husband asked if I would be ready to go to supper in an hour or so. And I said sure.
I took my time and showered, washed my hair, and got ready to go.
Just the process of getting ready was a treat.
I locked the bathroom door. Something I never do.
I took my time.
I enjoyed the process.

As we got in the car to go to supper, I said, "so, no charms this year, eh?"
Mark quickly explained that he had planned to take the kids but with my retreat last weekend and the fact that he had to work this last Saturday, he was unable to get the kids to James Avery. But he would, and soon.

I refused to let anything spoil my day. Mark went to a lot of effort to give me a peaceful day where I could do exactly as I pleased.

I felt loved and appreciated.

Isn't that the point of the day?

It was a simple day, but it was just lovely.

I hope all of you had a wonderful day as well.

2 comments:

Kris with a K said...

You'll love the charms when you do get them, and to have a cleaned-up scrap room AND a long time in the locked bathroom all alone....what a great day!! Happy Mother's Day!

CloverGirl said...

You have such a great attitude, Joanie. I would like to think that I'd react the same way, but I am embarrassed to admit that I think I might let my disappointment get the best of me. *insert blush*

I'm so glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day!!!