Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Summer of the Garden

I declare this Summer the Summer of the garden!
I have always wanted to have a garden and enjoy the food I grow. I have had a couple attempts with a tomato plant here and there.
Honestly, I don't have a clue what I am doing.

On the advice of some trusted friends, I purchased All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space! by Mel Bartholomew.
I have logged on to a message board that is devoted to this method of gardening, and I have selected my garden space. (really I had a landscape architect select it 3 years ago :-P)

Here is my spot:  from the driveway...

from the road....

from the back of the property:


Now in the interest of full disclosure I must admit that I am not great on follow through.
I get excited and start projects, and then lose interest and don't finish.
An example:




These plants were given to me to start my garden.... and I just haven't done right by them.
I confess all of this in hopes that I will be better at follow through if it is posted on this lonely little blog.

Updates will follow.... good and bad ....as I am sure this will be an adventure filled with lots of learning.

So, have you ever wanted to plant a garden? Check out the book and plant along with me.


2 comments:

Kris Van Allen said...

Joanie, much to my 'green=thumbed' mom's chagrin, I have the absolute blackest thumb on the planet. I've killed every houseplant I've ever had. Even pothos ivies. I could kill an air fern. When I once commented in front of the kids that I somehow kill every living thing in our house (meaning the plants), smarty pants Grace said, "what about us mommy? Us kids are okay!" I told her that the only reason that they have made it is that they do not have chlorophyl in them.

I wish you great success with your garden! Enjoy the freshness!

Pen said...

I have been bitten by the same gardening bug! I planted zucchini, yellow squash, two kinds of tomatoes, sweet basil, tabasco peppers, and rosemary. Zoi decided we needed to put some fruit in the ground, so she added a watermelon to our little 6X6 foot area. I don't have a gardening book. I probably did everything the opposite of the way it's supposed to be, but I had more fun than blisters when it was all said and done. Good for you! I can't wait to see your little plants grow up! Love, Peace and Greenness!