
I have some on-going female problems that have resulted in my needing a hysterectomy.
After postponing this for months I finally decided that it was time.
I go in to see my GYN and ask about a bladder lift.
She then sends me to a urologist. He does his thing and listens to my heart and doesn't like the sound of my heart murmur. He sends me back to my PCP for an EKG.
My PCP does the EKG and doesn't like what she sees so after a bunch of tests she sends me to a Cardiologist (this is sounding like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie)
My appointment with the cardiologist is for a nuclear stress test and an echo cardiogram.
I arrive at 12:30.
Let the stress test begin....at around 4pm I am finished with my stress test and now it is time for the echo.
I walk out to the reception area to let them know I am ready and I walk into a FULL waiting room.
Now, this is no ordinary waiting room. This place has 65 chairs in it. How do I know this?
I counted........While I waited...........and waited...........and waited.
Soon the full room of 50+ is down to me and one other guy who is waiting on his wife to come out.
It is now 5:45.
I see this guy walk out and I straighten up because certainly I MUST be NEXT.
Oh no, he chats up the gals at the front desk.
At 5:55 this same chatty guy calls my name and I hop up and yell "woo hoo!"
He looked at me like I needed a straight jacket.
I explained to him that I had been waiting for 2 hours and had been there for 5 1/2. He just looks at me blankly. I mean he give me nothing......not a smile, smirk, sneer...nothing.
Alrighty then.
We are walking back to the room and he begins explaining to me the procedure. I follow his instruction and get ready and he begins the echo.
I start asking questions, small talk, you know to fill the awkwardness of the moment.
"How long have you been doing this?" I ask.
"Awhile."
"Technology is amazing isn't it?" I say.
"Sure"
The guy is giving me nothing.
So I say, "This is just like when I was having my babies. I had one of these every week."
nothing
"I just love that I have all of these great sono pictures for my scrapbooks"
nothing
"Wouldn't it be great to have some of these pictures of my heart for an album? Think of the great layouts I could make."
nothing
"There are so many great papers out there and fun embellishements"
silence.
Now I am thinking I have just got to get this guy to crack. I ask him in a very serious tone "How does my heart look? What do you think?"
"Ma'am, I am not allowed to discuss anything with you at all." he says with a slightly irritated Joe Friday tone.
I say to him, "I know that. I was just trying to get a reaction out of you."
nothing.
At this point I give up. I relax and take a short snooze.
Not long after that my guy says, "all finished. You can use the towel to clean up the gel and then dress."
"okay" I said still feeling slightly dejected.
Just as he is about to close the door he says quietly, "I left a picture of your heart for your album. My wife is a scrapbooker too." and he closes the door.
My heart skipped a beat.
I had the biggest grin as I ended my day at the cardiologist.
Thanks Loran.


2 comments:
Awww! He has a heart too! :)
~Heidi
Wow, that is a great story to tell! Berrybry
Post a Comment