Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Best feeling EVER.

I don't really watch the news or read the paper. So when a cold front blew in night before last I was totally unaware until I had already sent my kids to school (without jackets or sweaters).
Feeling badly that my kiddos might be cold, I went back home and picked up their jackets and headed back to school.

I checked in at the school office and a call was placed to each classroom asking for them to come to the office.
My first thought was that Samuel will have a look of panic on his face -wondering why he has been summoned to the office.
In the two minutes I waited for them I thought about my own time in school and how often I had been cold because I didn't bring my sweater, or hungry because I had forgotten my lunch. I knew no one would be bringing me anything -I just had to make it through the day. Mom worked and took the city bus over an hour each way to get to work. She did the best she could.
But I remembered how I would have felt if I had seen mom there on a day like today.

First one around the corner was Samuel. He was a bit taken back when he saw me there. I told him I brought his sweatshirt because I thought he might be cold.
His face lit up.
"Mama, I am cold. Thanks so much!" and he put his arms around me and squeezed.
"I really needed this" he said. Me too, I thought to myself.

Samuel starts back to his class and around the corner pops Abigail holding the hand of this beautiful blond haired, blue eyed, cherub looking little girl. Abigail stops when she gets close to Samuel and introduces her classmate to her brother.
"Madison, this is my brother, Samuel."
wow...she seems so grown up for just turning 5.
The two little girls come closer and I see my baby girl's face light up.

I wish I had a camera in that moment because it is how I want to remember her face always.
I have never felt more loved then in that moment -her looking at me holding the sweater. Such a small seemingly insignificant gesture....but it was huge.

I told her I wanted her to have her sweater in case she was cold.

She hugged me hard and said, "thanks, mama"

"Mama, I want you to meet my friend, Madison" Abigail said.
We had a little bit of five-year-old small talk and they went on their way.

But it was in those few short minutes I realized how BIG the little things are. They won't remember that I brought them their sweaters on a cold day. But they know in their hearts that they are loved and cared for.

For me, it helped that little girl inside me know that my mom would have done the same thing if she had been able.
It really is a gift to be able to care for these sweet children.

It was the BEST feeling EVER.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Awww!! Super sweet of you and I love how you retold this little story. I am sure they know how much you love them.

(Just came across your blog via Scrapshare.)

Sherry said...

I am too wound up to go to sleep just yet, so I thought I'd pop into SS and see whose blog I could look up and yours was the first one I saw.
This story made me cry. It made me think of my family growing up and my children now. Isn't being a mom just about the best thing ever? Thanks for sharing your story!
Sherry