I was invited to a party at a friend's house. A large group was gathered for cocktails, finger food and conversation.I was surprised at how many people were at this party.
I milled around and talked to a number of people. Some of them I knew well, some I had known just through my friend and others I didn't know at all. We all had a wonderful time. Great conversations took place. I was amazed at the range of topics and level of sharing that went on.
As the evening wore on we were wondering if the dinner would ever be served. We were hungry but understood that the meal prep for a group this size would be a bit tricky.
Finally the moment arrived.
We all sat down at a very large table to enjoy our meal together.
My friend and her husband presented the meal with big smiles, they were eager to please their guests.
The meal looked great to me. I couldn't wait to dig in. I was never one to say no to a free meal.
As plates were passed and the meal served I began to hear quiet chatter about the meal being served. A couple of the guests next to me were saying they didn't like what was being served and they weren't going to eat it. Someone on the other side of the table heard the chatter and added her thoughts on a restaurant down the street that would serve a better meal than this.
I sat amazed at what I was hearing.
Other guests heard too and were a bit shocked but they kept to themselves and their regular dinner conversation.
Pretty soon the talk about going someplace else for supper reached the ears of our hosts. The were ever the perfect hosts and simply said, "We are sorry the meal is not to your liking. Won't you at least try it first?"
The dissatisfied group said, "nope" and they got up from the table and left.
Can you believe it?
I was in disbelief!
After they made their exit, the remaining guests moved on down the table to fill in the empty gaps and we continued our wonderful meal. It turned out to be a wonderful evening. We had a nice brandy after supper and sat around a cozy fireplace and swapped stories until the wee hours of the morning.
What saved that evening from being a disaster?
Our hosts of course.
They showed class and warmth in the midst of a awkward situation.
Don't you wish you had friends like mine?
....one last thing I forgot to mention.........I stopped by that 24 hour diner that the other guest went to after I left the party.
There were still people at the table talking and enjoying themselves.
I said hello and ordered a coffee to go. While I was waiting for my coffee, I noticed the remains of their meal pushed aside.
They were eating the same things we had been served.....just on different plates.
Monday, January 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment