Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Smell of Happiness

I'll admit it.
I am a slave to my nose.

I discovered while on bedrest with my pregnancies that I can actually make myself FEEL better with certain aromas.
Amazing fact, really.

When I need order and a sense of control, Pine-Sol.
Growing up, mom always used pine-sol. Our house was always clean, neat & tidy! So the smell that gives me that neat and tidy feeling is Pine-sol. My own aroma therapy.

When I need comfort, I love the smell of food cooking in the kitchen. Not sweets but supper on the stove. Meatloaf, potatoes, roast, chicken, vegetables, bread, pasta, mmmmm supper. Better yet, supper I am not cooking myself. Comfort.

When I want to feel good about myself..... it is all about the hair. Shampoo scent is very important. In 1993 I found my soul mate of shampoo, Outrageous! by Revlon. I am not sure why but it just makes me feel like a million bucks.
They stopped making the stuff a number of years ago and I have been on a search for a replacement ever since. With no luck at all.
Last year, I googled my favorite self-esteem shampoo and found that our neighbors to the north were still getting a supply of my favorite shampoo.
I searched for on line sources to purchase but I couldn't do it. The cost of the shampoo plus shipping was close to $20 a bottle. UGH!

All of this said, leading up to the fact that I met a wonderful Canadian woman who so very kindly brought me SIX bottles of my self-esteem shampoo. I figure it can last me a good three years if I use it only when I really need it.

The other night was one of those evenings. My husband had been away, I had the kids who were really missing him, all the things going on at home, making sure the house was super clean for his homecoming, laundry done, and he wasn't overly apprecitive of all that I had done while he was off having fun.

So I hopped into the shower and shampooed.

I know it is a silly thing.

But it is my silly thing.

Ah, the smell of happiness

Pine-Sol
Camay Soap (also very hard to find these days)
and Outrageous Shampoo.

Life is good, isn't it?

No comments: