Monday, January 21, 2008

Recipe Memories

From a family that loves food and has a special menu for every celebration a title like "recipe memories" is a multi volume subject.
I will try to narrow it down to just the few that first pop into my mind.
A special and fun dinner growing up was fondue. We never had cheese or dessert fondue just meat fondue.
Oil was heated in the fondue pot and steak was prepared into bite sized pieces.
The best part was the SAUCES. Mom always made the same ones - and that is just how we liked it. We had a garlic butter sauce that would melt as soon as the hot meat would hit the cold butter mmmmmm garlic & butter- what could be better?
Just wait, there's more.
Chili sauce -kind of like cocktail sauce - not my favorite but was okay for a change of pace.
We always had four sauces but I cannot recall one of them.
My favorite was the sour cream horseradish sauce -mmmmmmmmmm loved that one.
The meal would always have bread and a salad. We liked how long it took and the fact that we cooked our own supper.
On a really special occasion we also had Red Velvet Cake (scratch). Oh my, RVC is soooo good. After growing up with it made fresh from scratch every time, I simply cannot eat a store or box RVC.
My aunt Carol, did not cook a lot but she made a meal that was always comforting... Chicken tenders with homemade mac & cheese. To this day if I am going to make mac & cheese, I make AC's recipe. It has a bit of finely minced onion that is the perfect flavor to cut the heaviness of the cheese.
AC's other recipe that I love to make is her Chicken Salad. She has always puts red apple and green olives in it. I always thought it sounded gross but really it is FABULOUS! The best is always made using left over Parmesan/lemon baked chicken.
My husband's favorite meal is meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn, and green beans. He also likes pot roast, roasted potatoes, corn and green beans. He likes Mexican food too... Wet burritos or my Chicken nachos. The chicken nachos recipe came from a 24 hour restaurant/bar that I used to go to for many years. The chicken nachos were one of the most popular items on the menu. The chicken is in ranch dressing and put over chips, topped with cheese and put under a broiler to melt the cheese. Serve with a dollop of guacamole and sour cream and loads of jalapenos.
My son likes my salmon patties and loves homemade stuffing at Thanksgiving.
The whole family likes Pumpkin Crunch which has only been apart of our family for about 3 years now. I am sure it is one my grandkids will enjoy.
My favorites I seldom get. Almost everything I love has a sauce and onion and mushroom or artichokes, my husband doesn't like sauce and hates onion and mushrooms.
I better stop this entry before I cannot stop myself. I will end with this. The only food I have every had that I have found difficult to eat....beets.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Oh.my.word. Your post should come with a warning! LOL It all sounds so good. "Like a big hug in a bowl" as Paula Deene would say.