BLOG CHALLENGE # 7 - Embarrassing Moments -If you only have one most embarrassing story then you are lucky! I have about ten really good ones that still make me red in the face when I recount them. But one thing I have found is that most embarrassing stories usually result in someone reporting back to you that they have had a similar experience or know someone who has. We all do dumb things, have stupid stuff happen to us in public, experience an escape of gas at the most inopportune moment or find ourselves in a predicament we just didn't expect. Ever. The challenge this week is to write about one of those moments. Trust me.....it will be cathartic!
June 12, 1994
At the time my folks lived in San Diego, California, in the town where I spent my high school years. After graduation, I moved to Texas, as did my brother. My step-sister moved to Ohio.
The point being, that we were spread out over the country.
In 1994, my step father retires from teaching after more than 20 years. We wanted to show him how proud we were of him and of his commitment to teaching and also celebrate this new stage in his life. So we decided to surprise him and all fly in to celebrate his retirement.
I came from Dallas, my step-sister from Columbus, and my brother and his new wife came in from Galveston. Paul, my brother, was finishing his last year of medical school. His wife graduated the year before and was working while Paul finished his studies.
We all showed up at the house and you could have knocked Dick over with a feather. He was so touched that we would all go to such effort to be with him, it was very sweet.
We gathered together at a local steak restaurant with all the family that could be there. Dana, my step sister, was there, as was her grandmother (her mom's, mom) and her aunt (her mom's sister). It was a really nice evening.
A bit of background here before I go on with my story. My brother, whom I love dearly, has always been held up as the golden child. As a boy, EVERYONE adored him and thought he could do no wrong. I as his little sister was well aware of the fact that he was not the perfect child he was made out to be and in fact, could be down right mean. He was adored by aunts, uncles, cousins, mom, step-fathers, so much so that I began to refer to him as Jesus. (I mean no offense to Christians. It just seemed like the perfect name for the situation).
So on this evening, while at dinner, something came up that Paul did. And sure enough, whatever it was (I don't remember anymore), they turned into a positive. If it had been any one of us other than Paul it would have been seen as a screw-up.
It just irritated me to no end. I was in disbelief. So I excused myself from the table and Dana followed me to the bathroom sensing exactly why I was leaving the table.
So there we are in the stalls next to each other going on and on....
Can you believe that?
Oh Paul does it and it is .....Paul is so smart and wonderful look how he turned a difficult situation around and made it work for him.........................You know if it had been one of us it would have been different..........................but lets not forget we are talking about Jesus.......................blah, blah, blah
and so on as two girls will do.
I felt better as I left the stall. It felt good to say it all and then be able to join the rest of the group not feeling annoyed.
There I am washing my hands, waiting for Dana and out walks my new sister in law from the last stall.
GULP -she heard everything I just said about my brother (her husband)
What do you do in a moment like that? I tried to explain myself but it was somewhat pointless. After all, I said what I said.
I didn't know her well at this point and I figured I may have spoiled things.
I was very quiet for the rest of the evening.
Years later when I re-tell this story my sister in law swears she has no memory of it. I think she is just kind.
Oh, by the way, the reason the date stays so clearly in my mind? The evening of the OJ Simpson Bronco chase. We watched a bit while we waited to be seated at the restaurant and later that evening back at home.
I embarrass myself often enough but this was one of those times that I will never forget.
Thursday, March 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Ha!!! I'm sure that's the only time your mouth got you in trouble. . . you are so hesitant to share!! LOL!
Denise
Classy. Very classy!
BTDT. Except in my case it was a teacher.
Post a Comment