Saturday, September 20, 2008

Poetry


As some of you may know I live in a very small town in Texas.

Our town is growing, we are experiencing a boom of sorts.

Last Spring, I was moved to start a Friends of the Library group in hopes of establishing a BIG and BEAUTIFUL Public Library for all to use and enjoy.

It is a big dream for someone with zero experience with libraries, except spending a lot of time in them.

I have been working with the elementary school librarian, who has created the perfect atmosphere for children to love, enjoy, and look forward to being in the library.

Last week, this librarian suggested I attend the Texas Library Roundup with her.

I wasn't sure what to expect, or if it would even be helpful at this early stage, but I went anyway.

I attended 4 different session and they were all enjoyable but there was a standout among them.


A session on poetry given by Naomi Shihab Nye.


Let me say that I am intimidated by poetry. I don't get it.

Is it all supposed to rhyme?

Shouldn't it have something deep and profound hidden in simple imagery?

Most of the time I can't figure it out, so I steer clear.


She spoke about how to expose and involve our children to poetry.

She shared examples of schools that read a poem daily over the intercom, have a lunch time "open mike" session where students write and share during that lunch period.

She read a poem by a 7 year old boy in Mexico that was beautiful.

She spoke of people of different cultures becoming more understanding of one another through poetry.


She sang us a song that was written with a group of school kids she met on one of her speaking engagements.

This one song brought me back to my first grade classroom. It returned to me all those feelings of love and wonder that I felt everytime I was in Mrs.Van's class. It brought a tear to my eye.


I have never purchased any poetry.


I did yesterday.


She was very kind as she signed my books.


My only regret was that my children were not there to hear her.


I still don't "get" poetry.

But I am at least willing to try now.

No comments: