Monday, December 08, 2008

Movie Monday




This was the movie I watched this weekend.
Orson Wells was such a master movie maker. I am not a critic but if you watch a lot of movies and enjoy the craft of film as well as the stories, it is easy to see his mastery of this medium.

The first thing that struck me was early in the film there is a long tracking shot. Very long.
I am not sure when this type of shot really became a normal part of film making but in 1958 it wasn't.
From wikipedia:
"The movie opens with a famous three-minute, thirty second continuous tracking shot that film critics (such as Bob Dorien and Robert Osborne) generally consider to be one of the greatest long shots in cinematic history."
Now, I didn't know any of that while watching but even I could tell this was spectacular.

I enjoy old movies and this one stands out because it stands out so profoundly among films of the time.

I had some issues with Charlton Heston playing a Mexican - it is absurd, really.
But some have suggested that it was purposeful. I am not sure but perhaps.

It is a dark story with an amazing cast...


Charlton Heston - Ramon Miguel Vargas
Janet Leigh - Susan Vargas
Orson Welles - Hank Quinlan
Joseph Calleia - Pete Menzies
Akim Tamiroff - Uncle Joe Grandi
Joanna Moore - Marcia Linnekar
Ray Collins - District Attorney Adair
Dennis Weaver - Motel Manager
Val de Vargas - Pancho
Mort Mills - Al Schwartz
Victor Millan - Manolo Sanchez
Lalo Rios - Risto
Phil Harvey - Blaine
Joi Lansing - Blonde
Harry Shannon - Gould
Rusty Wescoatt - Casey
Wayne Taylor - Gang Member
Ken Miller - Gang Member
Raymond Rodriguez - Gang Member
Arlene McQuade - Ginnie
Zsa Zsa Gabor - Strip-club owner
Marlene Dietrich - Tana
Mercedes McCambridge - Hoodlum
Keenan Wynn - Man
Joseph Cotten - Detective

If you are a film buff and haven't seen it, treat yourself and watch it.

No comments: