
If I told you this film was about a poor boy in India who goes on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, you most likely won't have an interest in this film.
But if I explain that the annoying show is simply a framework for showing this boy's life it might pull you in.
Jamal Malik is an orphan who survives in the slums of Mumbai, who finds himself on this show about to answer one last question to win it all, when he is arrested on suspicion of fraud/cheating. After all, how could a slumdog possibly know the answers to these questions? He must be cheating.
The inspector begins to go over the tapes of the show, question by question, asking how Jamal could know the answer to such questions.
Jamal then begins to share the story of his life and how certain experiences gave him the knowledge to answer each question.
What unfolds is heartbreaking and uplifting. It gives realistic glimpses into life in the slums of India.
This film is beautifully shot.
I am not a film student but there is a sequence in the beginning of the film that I thought was amazing AND with this long run we the audience, gain so much information about the place our young boy lives. But it doesn't beat it into your head, you are along for the run and take it all in. Beautifully done.
The music is so very...thrilling, stirring, intoxicating....it mixes perfectly with the mood of the film.
I can't wait to see it again.


1 comment:
Great review! You definitely caught my interest..
Post a Comment