Monday, January 26, 2009

Movie Monday: Gran Turino, The Reader, Benjamin Button












I liked this one. I know this main character. I like Clint Eastwood films, at least the ones he has made in the last 20 years or so.
What stayed with me after seeing this film was how much we can impact others lives if we choose to.
His children didn't know him, but his neighbors got to know him and because of it, he changed their lives.



















For me, this one just doesn't live up to the hype. Yes, the make up was very well done. Yes, Brad Pitt is nice to look at -young or old. But the film didn't suck me in. I found myself wondering about weird things during the movie. Things not having anything to do with the emotional current of the movie.
In spite of all of that, there was a moment toward the end of the film, where Benjamin is giving advice to his 13 year old daughter....I don't have a quote but I will have those words printed and framed one day.
The gist of it was that it is never too late to live the life you want to live and to be happy in whatever it is you do. Grand or simple, it is your life to live. It was beautiful.
The upside to seeing this movie........now, I will go read the book. I bet it is better.



















Last but not least, The Reader.
I loved this book so I had mixed feelings about seeing the movie.
But since it has been 13-14 years since I read it, I went ahead with the movie version.
I remember when I read the book many hated it.
I loved the many faceted, complex characters the book revealed without judgement.
The movie did a fine job of showing those characters as well.
I really liked this movie.
People will focus on the affair beween the adult woman and the 15 year old boy but that is not what this film is about. It is the thing that draws this boy into a path that he cannot escape. What I love is the questions and the shades of grey that leave me thinking days after the movie is over.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I want to see the Clint Eastwood one. I'll have to add it to my NetFlix queue.