Monday, March 30, 2009

Monday Recipe.... Soup










Remember the old cabbage soup diet?
You eat certain food combos each day but can eat as much cabbage soup as you want.
Remember it?
Sure you do.

A few years ago, I found an updated version of this soup. It looked very yummy so I made the soup.
I didn't bother with the silly diet just wanted yummy soup.

I passed the recipe on to my step-father who always battles his weight but does a darn good job of it.

He LOVES this soup. So much so that he uses it as a part of his overall weight control plan. Once a week my mom makes a batch of this soup and my step-father replaces his evening meal with it.
After a trip to California, where he gained a few pounds from all the delicious dining, he replaced lunch and dinner with it and lost 10 pounds that week.

I need to jump start my weight loss again after being sick for so long. I started walking again and made a big pot of cabbage soup for my lunch and dinner this week.

Here is the recipe:

1 bunch of celery
3 carrots
2 peppers (one yellow & one red)
1 lg bunch of green onions
1 lg container of mushrooms
1 head of cabbage
1 pkg of lipton onion soup
2 beef bullion cubes
1 46 oz V-8 vegetable juice
1 1/2 cup cooked brown rice

Chop and throw into a large stock pot or dutch oven. I usually put the items in the order listed above. Once I add the cabbage I let it cook down just a bit. After adding the V-8, bring it up to a boil and then simmer for 5-10 min. I then turn off the heat and let it cool down before storing in the refrigerator. I add the cooked brown rice as I serve it because I like it to stay firm.

A favorite way to eat this soup is with a lot of fresh chopped onion and crystal hot sauce. YUM.

I try to keep grilled chicken on hand for those times when I need to add a bit of protein to the meal.

Let me know if you try it. It really is a tasty soup.

3 comments:

Kris with a K said...

This sounds good! Have you ever added tomato to it? That would add a lot of nutrition, too.

Joan Robertson said...

The v-8 has/adds a lot of tomatoey flavor, any more and it would be too acidic for my buds. I had this for lunch yesterday and a small portion before dinner -just to take the edge off.

Elaine said...

Made this tonight, in place of the zero-points WW vegetable soup that I usually make. Jerry calls that my "Compost Soup."

This was VERY good, and much more filling. :) Thank you!