Sunday, April 12, 2009

Summer of 1979


















I spent the summer with my friend, Candi. We had been friends since we were 5 or 6 and her family had moved away the year before. I missed my friend. She lived in Washington, Olympia to be exact.
Washington is a beautiful, beautiful part of the country. I remember the trees and being very aware of the proximity to nature -all around me.
She had a basement.
I had never been in a real basement. I had seen them on tv but San Diego doesn't really have basements.
I loved that basement. It was a cool place to hang out and feel grown up.
I remember there was a refrigerator down there and it was filled with fresh cherries.
We watched Flipper and ate cherries.
Candi's sister is Kelly. To this day, I don't have a clue how much older Kelly is, but she was always a very cool teenager relative to us.
She had a boyfriend that summer.
She was so grown up.
I remember going to the roller rink that summer.

I remember that Candi loved The Logical Song that summer.
I loved You Left Me Just When I needed You Most - Randy Van Warmer.

Everytime I hear those songs it takes me right back to that summer.

1 comment:

CloverGirl said...

What a neat memory, Joanie!!