
Friday I went to my kid's Christmas parties - at least I attempted to.
They are in different schools and the parties were set for the same time.
I went to my daughter's first because they were going to sing for us on stage with two other 1st grade classes.
I was running behind and didn't have time to charge my camera or delete some images off of my memeory card so I was bummed I couldn't capture the moment.
It turned out to be a good thing.
I sat there and really took in the moment.
I watched my angel girl that had been so shy just 18 months earlier we couldn't sing happy birthday to her- we had to whisper it- stand on stage and really sing.
There she was.
She looked quickly at me to make sure I was watching but the rest of the time she was singing, watching her teacher, and doing all of the hand gestures that went along with the Christmas tunes.
I was so moved by how far she has come out of her shell.
I was so very happy.
I cried.
It was the first time I really understood when my mom used to say she didn't need a gift or a card was just fine. In that moment, it was the best gift ever.
Sadly, when we arrived at her brother's party there were only five kids left. It wasn't quite the spread that the 1st graders had. I told my son that next year I would go to his party first.


1 comment:
I can relate to this. My son won't let us sing to him either, he's so introverted. There are times when I wonder if he'll ever come out of his shell.
Post a Comment